Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Winding down

We've stopped briefly for Thanksgiving break. To no great surprise of mine, a number of students were missing in both my Monday and Tuesday classes, since we are off on Wednesday through Friday of this week. We'll be back for two weeks, and then finals, then graduation, then we're hitting the Christmas break, and soon enough I'm traveling again.

I usually like the brief periods of "down time" around a break or between sessions, when most of the students are gone. In the past, I remember spending a lot of time around my office around finals or the last day before a break, getting things done. It's a good time to get last grading done, file, organize my grades, respond to e-mails, and the like. And since nothing in particular is due immediately, the air can be almost festive. It's also a good day to take off for a nice lunch with colleagues. But today for some reason, I just wanted to get out of there as soon as possible. I guess I'm just run down this semester for some reason. So I ran up to town for some brief shopping and dinner after my class (it turns out I teach one on Tuesdays), and I'm looking forward to sleeping in for a few days.

I'm glad for the break. I'm also ready for the semester to be over.

No comments: