- Been to a Greek festival.
- Been to both gay bars. They are of course about the same as I expect; mostly loud and somewhat smoky, but they exist.
- Met with the gay men's coffee group twice. This is more my speed. It also got me onto a bunch of e-mail lists about lesbian/gay/bi issues in the area.
- Found good shopping within 20 minutes of my home, including the great supermarket. A passable local chain is within about a five to ten minute drive from my home.
- Found good Chinese, Middle Eastern, Asian fusion, and Irish food, as well as a place with great deli-type food and a good pizza place which is quite close to my home. I've been told of good places for sushi, Italian, and French but haven't been yet.
- Joined a local weekly "happy hour" organized by friends in the area, which also allowed me to meet lots of nice people.
- Seen a play. ("Hush Up, Sweet Charlotte", which is a spoof of the movie Hush, Hush, Sweet Charlotte. It features the two female leads played by men in drag, and was fun, although I suspect I would have gotten more out of it if I were part of the cult following of the movie. The movie is sort of interesting too; Wikipedia describes it as being of the "psycho-biddy" genre.)
- Seen a bit of Presque Isle in Erie, as part of the local natural wonder, yadda yadda. I included a picture earlier.
- Visited an outlet mall about an hour south of here.
- Found lots of furniture stores, but do not yet have furniture. I did finally order a recliner from one place, but it's not in stock and will take 45-60 days to arrive.
Sunday, July 30, 2006
So this is where I live now
Having been here a little over a month, I have some feel for where I'm living, and there are some things to recommend it. During the time I've been up here, I have: