Tuesday, May 09, 2006

More Pseudo-Randomness


  • For reasons I cannot fathom, my students apparently also believe 33 = 9. Perhaps someone is teaching this? It may be related to the fact that a friend of mine who teaches high school noticed a blackboard left up by another teacher with gems such as 1/2 + 1/3 = 1/5.
  • The brown and black cat has lost his collar, and the teenage girl who lives next door with her mother claims that the cat is hers now. The mother had originally said the cat wasn't theirs. I'm not sure what's going on. He also seems less willing to share the porch with the shy white cat now.
  • Hint to my multivariable students: If you are asked to produce an example of an absolutely convergent series and justify your choice, any series which you justify using a comparison test with another convergent series is the wrong choice for this problem.
  • Overheard from students (not mine) going into a final exam: "I didn't start studying until about an hour ago..."

I have just given my last final, and am mostly done grading it. This is good, as it means I can leave tomorrow to try to find someplace to live next year. I hate sleeping under bridges, especially in places where the snow may come that high anyway.

No comments: